ASD (formerly AECMA) S1000D
What is ASD S1000D?
Specification S1000D is an International Specification for Technical Publications utilising a Common Source Data Base and is used by the UK MOD for the procurement and production of technical publications. Whilst the title restricts its use to technical documentation it has been demonstrated that the principles of the specification can easily be applied to non-technical documentation. The specification adopts and profiles ISO and WWW standards. Information generated is in neutral format, which means it can be used on disparate IT systems. It is this feature together with the modular approach to data creation and storage, hence promoting interoperability that has lead to MOD Policy requiring its use on new equipment programmes.
What are the benefits of S1000D?
- It is based on internationally agreed neutral standards
- It reduces maintenance costs for technical information
- It allows sub-sets of information to be generated to meet specific user needs
- It allows transfer of information and electronic output between disparate IT systems
- Many different output forms can be generated from the same base data set ensuring strong, efficient data configuration control at the user interface
- The S1000D data module concept can be and has been applied to legacy data
- It is non-proprietary
- It allows neutral delivery and management of data
- It uses the philosophy of "create once, use many times"
- It is in daily use over many national and international projects
- The modular approach is ideal for web delivery
- Responsive to emerging technology
Allan Webb S1000D Services
Have you a requirement to create ASD 1000D publications?
Have you a requirement to convert existing publications to ASD 1000D format?
Allan Webb has experience in creating S1000D based publications for various systems including aircraft, naval warships and land based systems. Our team either satisfies fixed price, turnkey, projects or provides highly skilled resources to work at on-site at a clients premises.
Allan Webb’s unique mix of services also allows the following documentation related activities to be performed our office in Stonehouse:
- Data Conversion – Converting paper or electronic publications to ASD S1000D format through the document scanning and legacy data conversions.
- S2000M – Integrated with the production of Illustrated Parts Data Modules (IPDMs)
- NATO Codification – Allan Webb is one of the few independent companies who provide NATO Codification services. This service can be integrated into any technical documentation project.
Thousands of data modules created by our team.
Allan Webb have created thousands of ASD 1000D SGML Data Modules for the Royal Navy Type 45 Destroyer, Astute Submarine and the Eurofighter Typhoon. These publications were produced from site visits and design information supplied by the client who, in these cases, were the Prime Contractor and various equipment suppliers.