Richard Allott, Glyn Davies and Phil Dean recently visited the Gloucester City Mission to present a donation of £360 (£180 raised through Phil’s tuck shop, with a matched donation from Allan Webb Ltd). Gloucester City Mission is a charity working with homeless and marginalised people in the Gloucester area and the money was gratefully and warmly received. It will enable 15 people in dire need to sleep in a warm, safe environment for one night next winter.
The Mission offers help and support at so many levels to those that really need it, providing food, shelter, advice, clothes, showers and comfort to people who are alone, hungry and isolated, sleeping rough, ‘sofa surfing’ or in a hostel.
The life expectancy of people living on the streets is between 42 and 47 years.
Many of the issues that are dealt with at the centre are things most of us steer clear of. Some are things we take for granted. For the people using the centre they can be critical issues and, for some, just knowing somebody cares enough to talk and listen can make an enormous difference.
The Mission relies totally on donations and their tiny paid staff (1 full-time and 3 part-time) are supported by a fantastic team of volunteers and Trustees to provide:
- Medical treatment
- Financial advise
- Drug addiction management
- Alcohol addiction management
- Dealing with Depression
- Dealing with Loneliness
- Something to eat and drink
- A simple washing machine
- A shower
- Someone to talk to
- A place to relax for a short while
- A place to sleep (during the winter)
Allan Webb staff continue to help raise awareness and funds for the Mission by using Phil’s brilliant Tuck Shop, donating products for Phil to sell, or by making donations.
If you wish to help the Mission you can donate money, time (contact Dave Kinghorn on 01452 901922 to volunteer) or products such as:
- Pot Noodles, Mug Shots, soup etc. which can be mixed with hot water and easily distributed
- Chocolate bars, small packets of biscuits and similar
- Shampoo and soap, ideally individually wrapped ‘hotel’ or ‘travel’ size products
- Washing machine tablets
- Good quality laundered clothes, particularly underwear
- Good quality laundered bedding
For more information about the work of the Gloucester City Mission, visit http://www.gloscitymission.org.uk/by